Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday - Wedding Pics

I went to a wedding this weekend and as always, it got me to thinking about my wedding. Especially all the things I wouldn't change if I had it to do over again.

One of those things was how, or rather, when, we had our pictures done.
Many times you go to a wedding, either enjoy or endure the ceremony, watch the new Mr. & Mrs. charge down the aisle and out the door, and make your way to the cake and punch, only to wait, and wait, and wait for the happy couple to appear. Or for that matter, any of the bridal party. Or maybe a family member? Hello? Anyone?


Where have they all gone? Back into the church of course, to take pictures!

We decided we didn't want to keep our guests waiting, so here is what we did:

We got all dressed & ready really early. We emptied the church of (almost) all family members, florists, wedding party, etc and Greg waited for me at the front. I came walking down the aisle, just like I would be doing in the ceremony, but for his eyes only. He could see me in my dress for the first time without peeking through the crowd and over Great Aunt Flossie's head.

We took our time together, admiring our clothes and enjoying each other's company and the beautiful decorations ... alone. We called it our "moment". It was a wonderful break in what can be a very hectic day. We did have the photographer stay in to capture the look on Greg's face when he saw me for the very first time. (Cuz you know... it was my wedding day... and I was looking pretty spiffy!)

After our "moment" we had family & wedding party come in and we took pictures - without being hurried because wedding guests were waiting, and without having to wait for the guests to file out so we could take pictures.

So - once our ceremony was over we headed right out the door and straight to the car to start the reception - no waiting! And that Work(ed) for Us! Now.... for all of us who are married and unlikely to be planning a wedding soon, head on over to Rocks in My Dryer for Works for Me Wednesday to, you know, find some ideas you might can use now!

Cake, anyone?

9 comments:

Karen said...

That is a great idea! I'm going to tell my youngest sister about it, she's getting married next year.

Anna said...

I did this at my wedding this year and definately recommend it. I really treasure seeing my husbands face when he first saw me in my dress without having 150 guests share it too. The best thing is that we were so full of excitement, our photo's pop! And before anyone asks, no it doesn't ruin the ceremony, he was so excited he couldn't wait to see me again!!

Alaina said...

We also did this when we got married and so did my sister! I recommend it to all brides. I think it is probably one of my very favorite memories from our wedding day.

FrazzMom said...

I love this tip because you also get all your photographs done while your hair and makeup are still perfect!

Definately a tip I'll file away for when my (now teenage) daughter plans her wedding...

Shawna said...

That's a really good tip! We took all of the pictures early as well, except all of the "together" photos. We did all individual, his family, my family, etc. first. It saved some time.

Anonymous said...

That is an excellent idea! Hmm, my daughter's only 4; can I remember this that long?

PJ Academy said...

Just had to say AMEN!!!!

We went to a wedding about 6 months before ours and waited and waited and I vowed that day my friends and family WOULD NOT wait 2 hours for me!!!!

The only thing I don't like all our wedding pictures my hubby doesn't have his ring on :)

Jennifer

Kara said...

We did this too! I think it's a great idea. They wanted me to walk down the aisle, but I decided to come from the back of the church because I only wanted to walk down the aisle once. Then when I did I bawled the whole way, maybe I should have taken a practice run. LOL

Kimberly Carpenter said...

We did this too and we agree it is way better than the actual ceremony entrance. It still had its specialness too. As a photographer, my dad made it policy simply because it made the day more about the wedding and not the pictures.