Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Feeling Jumpy?

Picture Day!
Today was one of those days when nothing seemed to go right, but you look back on it, and it wasn't a bad day at all.
Things started off pretty good: We wanted to leave the house by 8:00 to get to our picture appointment on time. We drove off down our street at 7:59! :) ....and drove right into a thunderstorm!
Got about halfway there, and the rain was pouring, the lightening was flashing, and the baby was crying. Even though he had had a pretty rich cereal/babyfood breakfast, I think he was wanting to nurse. It was probably partly because he hadn't been on his feed last night, and partly because it had been several hours sinced he nursed and he just likes it.



So, we pulled over and let Alan out of his seat for 5 or 10 minutes...he was more interested in the raindrops hitting the car windows than anything I had to offer. So....back into the carseat for Alan. Still got to our appointment 15 minutes early.


The air conditioning wasn't running in the little photo room, and it was HOT. And Mr. Alan was less than cooperative. We still managed to take, select, and order our pictures (some of all 4, and some of just the boys). An hour later we were done.


Next, and I will spare you the details, we chased our tails for 3 hours working on getting prescriptions filled. We did eat lunch and pick up a few groceries in the midst of all that, but as far as the meds were concerned, we felt like if it could go wrong, it did. I said I would spare you the details, but I can't help myself; here's a hint: it involved 3 different pharmacies, 5 different stops, 1 prescription being out of refills (how did I miss that?!), discovering 2 meds no longer being covered by insurance, and going home with just a few days worth of one med and without the other two!!! (Thanks to Kristin for picking those up on her way home from work...and she had to make 2 stops...they weren't ready the first time!!)
Had to put The Tube back in when we got home. :( *Sigh* Took pictures and kissed that little cheek before we covered it in tape.



Got on the phone and ironed out a couple of details with the insurance company and feeding supplies provider. Weirdest thing there? The subsidiary of the insurance co (didn't even know they had one until I got transferred to them on the phone today) had a mailing address for us that was 3 years old!! I dont even know the words to say. HELLO!?!?


Went to the library again this afternoon. Yes, this is just about a daily thing. Hadn't read Dale's books from yesterday though, so he didn't log any today. Getting ready to leave, find out there is a very big and VERY dark storm cloud coming in. VERY dark. I mean black. NO - BLACK. Boogied ourselves home to Greg just in time - started to pour as we got to our street. Followed by much lightening and very strong winds. And then: the power went out! Dale seemed kind of nervous, so we gave him a flashlight and he relaxed and had fun. We just sat in the semi-dark for a long time, watching the storm. My cell phone beside me rang. I checked the caller ID - unavailable. Hmmm...don't get many of those - my heart picked up a little bit. I answered. "Hello? Mrs. Devine? This is Lisa the transplant coordinator at Children's" Now my heart is pounding!!!! Why is she calling!?? "We got a request from 2 different pharmacies today regarding Alan's antibiotic refill. I wanted to check which pharmacy you wanted to use."

oh...that...

I think I managed to sound calm, when actually I felt a lot like you do when somebody comes up behind you and taps you on the shoulder and you didn't even know they were in the same building as you, much less the same room. I hung up thinking, "yikes! don't DO that to me!" Lol.


But it got me thinking...that's how it's going to happen one of these days. And we will be in the midst of doing something, or waiting on something....just living our life, and WHAM! Ugh...I'd rather not think about that.


We finally got up and started gathering flashlights and candles while we still had some natural light in case the power was out for a while. Just like washing your car makes it rain, the power came back on.


Alan had formula out of a cup tonight and loved it. I guess he just hates bottles - we had just tried to give him a bottle of water, and then apple juice and he would NOT have it. But formula from a cup? Yum! :)


Greg and Dale went to church. When they got home it was time to get everybody into bed. Now Greg is over in the kitchen working diligetnly to get the rest of today's meds and Alan's feed ready to go. (Thanks to The Tube we can do this in his sleep :) ) Guess I better go help with that. :)

Taking pics before we had to re-insert the tube:
(Dale was napping)


Kisses for Mama! :)
Watching the storm outside:
(lightening and wind died down by then)

No comments: