Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Baker Boys

It's occurred to me if I want my boys to be competent in the kitchen, then I need to get them in there more!  Makes sense, yes?  

So one morning recently when Dale really wanted to make breakfast, I said 'sure' and handed over the reins.

How bad can it be to rest on the couch and give directions (when needed) while my kiddos make breakfast?!

I had been about to make pumpkin biscuits, so I handed over the recipe and walked away - but not too far. ;)


 They did a great job, both working together and creating a yummy breakfast.
I wouldn't be surprised if we make these pumpkin biscuits again, and next time I want to have some apple butter to go on them! :)


Pumpkin Biscuits
adapted from: 

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 400.  Mix dry ingredients.  (I never keep pumpkin pie spice on hand, I always make my own with cinnamon, cloves, ginger, & nutmeg.)  Cut in butter until crumbly.  Pour in buttermilk (another cheater ingredient I usually don't keep around, but simply add a splash of vinegar to regular milk and let sit a few minutes), pumpkin, and honey.  Stir gently just until mixed.  Knead gently just long enough for dough to hold together and roll out well.  I had to add some flour.  Roll to desired thickness and cut biscuits.  Bake on greased baking sheet 12-14 minutes.

No comments: