Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Yee-haw and say cheese!

Sunday -
Went out to the "dig" site to see how the pool was filling after the rain recently. Slowly. But I love this pic:

As we left Dale said, "Gramps, can we come back tomorrow and go fishing?" :)

Monday. Doctor day.
Greg came along this time, and I was soooo glad because it poured the last hour of the drive. I can't believe I ever make that drive at all, and to do it in the pouring rain would probably send me to the side of the road in some sort of nervous breakdown. Not something you want your children to see!! lol But Greg handled it flawlessly, and sort-of-almost-kinda looked like he was having fun doing it. Didn't hurt that Alan was sleeping the last 30 mintues. Everything doctor-wise went great. You can check
here for the full update.

We had a picnic lunch in the family lounge between labs and seeing the doctor. Dale was a great sport for the whole thing, which involves a lot of waiting. He loves the elevator rides, though. He gets to push the buttons. That's right - we let HIM gather all of the elevator button germs. You know...since he's the one most likely to have his fingers in his mouth or nose next. Such careful parenting. This surely is unrelated to the fact that it is nearly impossible to get a picture of Dale actually looking at the camera... (that is, without his mouth doing something funny or his hands making some sort of odd and random gestures):


Children's has been doing some major construction for several months now. And since we go about once a month, it is fun to follow the progress. A great place to do this is from the sky-bridge that goes from one part of the hospital complex to the parking garage. As we were leaving yesterday, Greg and Dale had made a bathroom stop and I waited for them on the sky-bridge. I noticed a large American flag that hadn't been out when we got there that morning. I thought this was maybe in honor of Sept. 11 and was pretty neat, so I got out my camera and started taking pics. (I need to interject here that I am a very careful rule-follower. I may have mentioned this before. Anything remotely rebelious and I start worrying about getting caught.) At one point, while loitering on the bridge, I noticed that a blue emergency light on the inside wall of the bridge was flashing. I've always wondered what that was for. Next I hear a recorded voice in the overhead soundsystem repeating very calmly, "Security. Security. Security." Now I start to worry. Is there some anti-terrorist law that says you aren't supposed to take pictures of under-construction buildings!? I didn't know!!
Thankfully, Greg and Dale finally appear about this time and I start walking, leaving them to catch up. It is at this point a young man in scrubs meets me along the walkway and asks, "Is everything ok ma'am?" I motioned behind me and said I was waiting for 'them'. He answers, "Ok. Someone pushed the security button."
I'm thinking, "IT WASN"T ME!! I DIDN'T DO IT!!" Do you think he believed me? :) lol

Tuesday - Preschool Day 2 - "Cowboy Day"
So. After
Day 1 started with enthusiasm and ended in disinterest, I didn't know what to expect for Day 2. Dale woke up and I got worried. He didn't want to go. He didn't want to have school on Tuesday. He didn't want to wear his cowboy clothes. He didn't want to eat breakfast. Well - ok. On second thought he at least decided he could have some cereal. Don't want to go too far with this "I don't want to" stuff I guess. I insisted all along the way that he WAS going to school, and he WAS going to wear his cowboy clothes. All the while thinking I'd give him the month of September and then if he doesn't like it we'll just forget preschool! And I couldn't help wonder... is he scared? Is he lonely? Are they mean to him? Is some kid a biter? Is he having some sort of 'issue'!!??
As we began to cross the parking lot, I was happy enough to see him at least CARRY the cowboy hat. I couldn't imagine how in the world I could get him to wear it and didn't even want to try. And I tell you...that parking lot must be magic. Halfway across it, I had to go back to the van to get Dale's backpack, but DALE said, "I'm just going to follow those people and go ahead inside."
Hmph. So much for issues.
He's just a grump in the mornings!
This will be something we can work on together....fun Mother-Son Project for Self-Improvement. I'm sure Greg will be praying for success for all participants.
Ahem.

So...back to preschool. First thing out for Cowboy Day was a ride on a real Longhorn! His name? Bubba. Isn't that just the coolest? (Notice the cowboy hat is ON Dale's head - and with no objections!)
Alan got a ride on Bubba too!
Only in Texas. (And yes - my child is the only one wearing tennis shoes for Cowboy Day.)

After they got their rides, all the kids lined up and sat on the curb in front of Bubba for a picture. It's really cute. I would show it here, but #1 - I think there is some kind of internet law or ettiquite or something about not posting pictures of other people's children without some serious looking written permission. #2 I'm not sure if my photo editor has a nifty blurring tool. #3 - It would take too long to blur 12 kids faces, and I'm ready to go to bed. And, #4 - I'd feel kind of weird about doing that blurry thing to Dale's new classmates anyway.
So anyway...point of the story...the kids line up and start saying cheese, and Dale's hands immediately fly up into those weird and random meaningless gestures (is this some sort of disorder?!). BUT - lucky for me, Dale is sitting next to a GIRL. A GIRL that knows that is NOT how you act for a picture. A GIRL who reaches over and promptly pushes Dale's hands into his lap. Where they stay, for a very cute picture. I'm going to have to buy that girl a birthday present.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

On Western Day in kindergarten, Rachel wore something that vaguely resembled a saloon girl outfit. We got it at the garage sale our dance studio has every year. Think denim puffy skirt, and midriff-baring red gingham puffy shirt. I made her wear a white t-shirt under it, which of course made it cute. Oh, and she wore our dress-up white pointy-toed boots with silver toes and taps. I am sure her teacher just LOOOOOVED us! Dale looks adorable. The longhorn picture will be great for senior videos one day!

Betsy said...

About that security button thing....did you ever wonder where Dale was about the time it was pushed???? Could have been one on the wall where he was waiting for Greg. LOL
Also like the part about the GIRL having some influence on Dale during the picture taking.