Friday, September 7, 2007

Artists, geniuses, cowboys and car guys

Some odds & ends thoughts....


While he still seems almost indifferent to the whole thing, little bits and pieces of Dale's one day of preschool experience have surfaced. For one thing, he told the other day that one of the songs he sang at school was one
Kristin taught him this summer, and then today I actually heard him singing it when he didn't know anyone was listening! :) He has also mentioned a few times about Tuesday being Cowboy Day. (They are supposed to dress in Western wear and there is going to be a real, live longhorn there). Don't get me wrong....it's not that I think he doesn't like it. In fact, I'm almost certain he does. I just thought he be more excited and talkative about it (you know, Mr. Exuberance and all), but instead he just seems to be taking it in stride. It's really got me baffled....can ya tell!!?? :)


And while I'm talking about Dale, I want to show you a piece of his genius artwork. It is a watercolor. I call it "Giant Earthworm in a Cave. With a doorbell and a mailbox."


And Dale isn't the only genius around. I loved, loved, loved seeing Alan play with this toy and figuring out how it is really supposed to work!! You put the firetruck on top of the station and it rolls down the slide and out the front door. Alan would put it on top, Dale or I would help him sit it upright and give it a shove down the slide, Alan would giggle when it came out the door right in front of him, and put it on top to go again! Smart boy! And so darn cute.



And finally, imagine this:
I talked to Greg this afternoon while he was at school getting ready to leave for the football game. He was really happy about some towing equipment
(
a sway bar) that has been added to the school vechicle he drives pulling the band's equipment trailer. Dale overheard this conversation, and wanted to know what a sway bar is. Uhhhh... I sort of kind of know what it is for...in general... but not really how it works...ummmm.... and finally - "you'll have to ask Daddy."
So I relayed this conversation back to Greg later and he said, "So you were trying to explain something technical you don't really understand and put it in 4 year old terms."
Yup. That's basically it.
This is where I hand the phone to Dale and he says to Daddy, "Daddy, what's a sway bar?"
And Greg proceeds to tell him.
And Dale answers in a very satisfied and oh-so-knowledgable, "Oh. Okay!" :)

No comments: