Sunday, September 9, 2007

Perspective

Our pastor made a very interesting analogy today:
If a little sparrow picked up one grain of sand in its beak and flew with it all the way to the moon, a 10,000 year journey, (-stay with me here....never mind all of those impossible scientific logistics...this is for figurative purposes! :) ), dropped the grain of sand on the moon, flew 10,000 years back, to pick up another grain of sand and start all over...
By the time that little bird went back and forth enough to transfer the entire earth to the moon, one grain of sand at a time (again...don't think logistics!) ...by that time, eternity would just be beginning.

Wow. I think most of the time we just don't get how insignificant most of the things we worry about here on earth are. We can so easily get so caught up in so much, for good and bad - we worry, we want, we wish, we whine. The Bible says our life is nothing more than a vapor or mist that soon vanishes.
If we could just GET that eternity is a REALLY LOOOOOOOOOONG time and that all that matters are those things that are eternal, how different our perspecitve of this life would be!

Jesus said, to store up our treasures in heaven, where they will last. Where they will matter.
This means #1 - we had better take a good look at our hearts and know for sure where we will be spending this looooooong eternity. It is real, and there are no second chances.

#2 - what are these treasures that matter?
Honestly, I'm not sure how to answer that in this moment. I have some ideas. Some truths that I know. But to say them concretely, out in the big blog world? Not something I want to do. So....sorry to spell this out and then leave you hanging, but maybe you have ideas of your own? Maybe we should all take our Bibles and go to our separate corners and reconvene someday soon! Lol. I've been thinking lately about a book I read a couple of years ago. You wouldn't know it by the way this question has left me stammering, but it made a pretty big impact on me at the time. I think it's time to read it again!! lol
A Life God Rewards: Why Everything You Do Today Matters Forever by Bruce Wilkinson
Anyone want to join me and read along? :)


Eternally His,
Amy

No comments: