Saturday, September 1, 2007

Hey y'all, look at this!

I have a confession. It's not a secret. Some of you already know this, others of you may have guessed. I am not ashamed of it:

I am country. I am Southern, I am Texan, I am country. Not cowgirl, not hillbilly. Just country. I live in town. I do not own a horse, a cow, a tractor, or wear boots or a cowboy hat. But I love sweet tea, gravy, pound cake, fried chicken, pastures & prairies. And I say "y'all". (I do, however, try not to spend too much time barefoot, especially while outside or pregnant! I have my limits...) lol :)

So now that we have that out of the way, let me tell you some of the ways I am ensuring my children follow their heritage. :)

We have been spending some time out at my parents' property. My Dad (Gramps) is digging a pool (or, depending on where you live: a pond, a tank, etc). He goes around and around on a tractor, making one place deeper and deeper, while redistributing the dirt to make another place a little higher. Now when you are a 4 year old little boy, with honest-to-goodness country roots in you (his daddy has no qualms about being barefoot...he's kind of country too....the Arkansas kind ;) ) anyway...for boys like Dale, having Gramps digging dirt on a tractor in the middle of a pasture is COOL. We went out for a picnic supper the other day, and Dale helped Gramps, doing some dirt-work of his own:



Alan watched it all:

He's country, too:
To top it all off, to cool down when we got home, Dale had a little watermelon snack before bed. I bet you didn't know how you're supposed to eat watermelon:

This is also a great way to put a little pinkish-red tint to your hair. Or at least the top/front part. :)

And now you know.

No comments: