Saturday, September 1, 2007

Come Sail Away

One quick story from yesterday:

Dale watched Blue's Clues while I did other stuff. I didn't follow along and had no idea what the story line had been.
As soon as it was over, Dale wanted to fill the pool. Sounded like a great idea to me, so we did. Before it was even finished filling, it was full of little bits of grass. ("I had to rinse my hands & feet, Mama") All this floating matter would drive me CRAZY, but Dale didn't seem to mind a bit, so I decided not to worry about it either.
As soon as the pool was filled, Dale wanted to make a sailboat, "Just like they did on Blue's Clues." Ahhhhh....so that's why we filled the pool.
Since I didn't SEE how Blue & Joe made their boat, and I didn't want to take the time to look up online how to make a super-duper kid-craft floating boat, we improvised.


Took one heavy-duty paper plate, folded over the edges to make 4 sides (a square-bottomed boat) - this took a little one-inch or so scissor cut. Then we taped (clear packing tape) those four edges to each other to make 4 corners and taped a stick in the middle and taped a paper sail to the stick. And all of this didn't take nearly as much tape as it sounds. :) We made our sail a triangle, because that's how Blue did. Blue's mast was a straw, but Dale was satisfied with our stick - thank goodness!

We were both really proud of our boat. Took it out to the pool and let it set sail for points far....across the wading pool. I was thrilled to see the little square thingy-dinghy actually sail in the breeze. Oh yes - I am a true ship engineer!! Went in to get my camera to take a picture of our fabulous mini-vessel, patting myself on the back the whole way in and out for not being a perfectionist about the whole thing. Grass in the newly filled pool? No problem! A hastily cut & folded paper plate with a (very) tacky tape job? No problem! It was at this high moment of all my self-congratulations (a whole 45 seconds, I"m sure) that I returned to find 'our' once-jaunty triangle sail WILTED & DRIPPING!? What happened to our boat?!
"I sank it, Mama!" Ooooookay.


No problem, right?

I took a picture anyway. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dale and his cousin, Aaron went camping. Dale's Dad filled up that little swimming pool. Then Dale and Aaron had fun playing with animals, toys and rocks while sitting on the outside of the pool.
Who said pools were for swimming!!