Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Works-for-me Wednesday - How are you Peeling?

My first Works-for-me Wednesday! :)

There has been an ongoing debate in our 7 years of marriage over the usefulness vs. not-worth-it-ness of garbage disposals in kitchen sinks.

Our first home was a very small, basic-as-they-come rent house and did not have a disposal, so these discussions were rare in those first days. But HEY - it was a real HOUSE, on a STREET, with LAWN, and real NEIGHBORS. Plus we were newlyweds, and I was fresh out of the college dorm. We thought we had hit the big-time for sure and definitely didn't miss a silly little disposal.

Our second dwelling was a fun little townhouse apartment. While in some ways an apartment felt like a step down, we at least were on the end, so only had neighbors on one side, plus we had an extra 1/2 bath and a walk-in closet. And...a garbage disposal. Oh yeah...we were hip & chic city-dwellers for sure in the apartment. (This might be a good place to mention that one of my WORST memories of the apartment involved pregnancy hormones, the disposal, 2 backed up sinks, and a very rude and grumpy maintenance man. At 10:00. On a Friday night.)

Next came another rent-house, this one a little more 'grown-up' feeling. But no disposal. (Thank you Lord. I needed a break after the apartment incident).

Soon we decided it was finally time to own and bought us a cozy little house just 3 streets over. Never mind that it was our favorite in the few options in our price range: it had a DISPOSAL!

Which brings me back to the debate. Bigger than the question of is a disposal worth it or not, and even beyond the fear of losing a hand (or even just a couple of fingers) in the thing, is the question of what is safe to put in, and what isn't. There is more confusion and contradicting information than the whole "eggs are good for you, no they're not, yes they are Thing.
Coffee grounds? Eggshells? Chicken bones? Potato peels?
Well.
I can at least answer that last one. Based on the unfortunate apartment-sink backup, I can tell you it's not so good to put potato peels down your disposal. Maybe you do, and with no negative results. Super! I, on the other hand, don't want to risk a repeat, especially since there would be no maintenance man to call....grumpy or not.

This leaves the dilemma of what to do with those pesky peels. You can:
1. Just leave them on the potato. An option I choose fairly often.
2. Gather them up from all over the sink(s) and/or counter. Not fun.
3. Bend uncomfortably over the trashcan, then gather up the runaways from the floor, side of the fridge, and/or wall, and later hope some kind soul will work the kinks out of your neck & shoulders. Not fun. (Or maybe I'm just a little rambunctious with my peels??)

And finally, my current solution, and my Works-for-me Wednesday tip, if you are amazingly still reading after having to sit through the history of my married-life abodes....

**Open up a plastic grocery bag in the bottom of the sink. Peel into it. When you're done, gather up the few escapees (if you're a passionate peeler like me, anyway) and throw the whole thing in the garbage!**
Be sure and visit Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer for more WFMW ideas!

If you've just had a slightly de-ja-vuish moment reading this, Yes - I posted it once before. My first WFMW attempt was 2 weeks ago today and I kind of 'oopsed' it, so I took it down to try again. :)

4 comments:

Mrs. Patton said...

Great idea!
Egg shells sharpen the blades.
Lemons and lime freshen it.

I do not put much in our because we are on a septic tank and I don't want to over do it!

Nikki said...

I knew not to put potatoes in the disposal. But then I'm always scooping peels out from the sink, and the wall, and the dishrack. So, I LOVE your idea. I will be passing on this knowledge to my hubby.

fairenuff said...

I've never had the luxury of garbage disposal! I am also the official dishwasher in our house! (Tony still hasn't worked out where to plug me in!!!)

Dutchnic said...

Here in the Netherlands, we don't have garbage disposals. We throw our garbage in the garbage I guess.
I always peel my potatoes over a piece of newspaper and then I throw it on the compost pile.
I loved reading your garbage disposal history though!