Friday, September 21, 2007

PhotoHunt: Paper


In my opinion, most people can be classified into one of two categories: Spenders, & Savers.

For the most part, I am a saver.

I would say that financially this is almost always a good thing.
However....when it comes to STUFF...being a saver can be a bad thing. Like when your candy starts going ooey on you because you saved it for too long, or all those empty toilet paper tubes saved for all those great preschool craft projects regularly avalanch out of the closet. This is something I'm working on, for my sanity, and mostly for the sake of my closets. :)

For several months, I have been saving a brand-new white poster board. It lived behind the piano. (That's where blank poster boards have been stored all my life, so why look for a new home now?)

For several weeks, Dale has wanted to 'make something' with above-mentioned poster. Finally, a couple of weeks ago, I knew what we could do with the poster.

And so began Dale's first major Scripture memory project. Doing only 1 verse every few days, I would write the verse in pencil, and he would trace all of the capital letters (and some of the lower case) in marker. Then we would work on memorizing.

The thing is, I let this be HIS project. HE chose the marker colors. HE colored the shepherd. I didn't correct even one letter that HE traced. I haven't taken a pic since the project is finished, but I am happy to report that Dale and I can both now recite the entire 23rd Psalm, and ...

...that poster is one of my favorite pieces of paper. Ever.


Be sure and go HERE for more fun PhotoHunt pics in this week's theme! :)

20 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

how totally cool! :) Darling!
Welcome to photohunters!

Lisa said...

A good use of paper and a good interpretation of the theme! :)

Colin Campbell said...

Welcome fellow newbie. Interesting story.

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty clever way for him to learn. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

A lovely piece of paper, I hope you manage to save that for ever! A great choice for today.

Welcome to the Photo Hunt:)

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Welcome to the Photo Hunters! :)

Carver said...

That's a good illustration of the paper theme.

Anonymous said...

That idea is great on so many levels!
(using up "saved" stuff, practicing writing, fulfilling your son's desire for a project and most importantly filling his mind - and yours - with the wonderful Word of God.) oh, and you got a photo hunt post out of it. :) Love it!

BTW, thanks for dropping by This Simple Life today. Do come again. :)

CRIZ LAI said...

That's a nice way to practice memorizing the psalm. Great job you have done there.

Anonymous said...

Great choice of photos! Mine is up too. Hope you can visit me! Have a great weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the colours chosen to write on the paper. I think your sons project is lovely and learning about God's words too. Sara from farmingfriends

Flo said...

That's a great way for him to learn!! Very inventive. Welcome to the hunt :)

Flo's Place

Teena in Toronto said...

Nice thing to keep.

Mine's up :)

Anonymous said...

I guess thats a good learning tool.

Thanks for stopping by.

Michelle said...

When this is done, you need to frame it and put it in the living room. It is a perfect interpretation of how we should take the 23 Psalm--as a child! Plus, Dale gets to play with markers. It just doesn't get much better than this! :-) BTW, I am starting to finally post again. Been sick still, so fallen behind, but hopefully no more!

Queen of My Domain said...

What a neat way to use paper and I think it's a great way for him to learn. Good choice.

Unknown said...

That is so adorable!!!

Welcome!

Paulie said...

I too, never threw anything away and often I was glad I didn't have to go out and buy something. Now that I am retired and downsizing, it is hard to keep everything so am sorting . . . thus, I understand. Great use for your paper!!!!!!! Great entry.

Come and see mine.

Anonymous said...

What a treasure!

Linz said...

That's so sweet! Such a easy, fun, cheap idea to get kids to learn Scripture. I bet he's really proud of those too. Thanks for posting your picture and for a good idea! :)