Monday, November 23, 2009

Pondering



Does anyone but me find it ironic that less than 24 hours after gathering together to supposedly share our thankfulness for our many blessings, thousands of people will crowd together and spend untold amounts of money (and acquire who knows how much debt) just to get more stuff?

Now don't get me wrong: I love a shopping and a bargain as much as the next girl, and we have taken advantage of day-after sales on more than one occasion - usually for a certain item or two that we wanted/needed anyway.  I don't even mind the getting up early if it is for a really good deal, or for something really needed or wanted.

But really?  All that running around and money spending... is it really necessary?  Seems such a shame to rush straight from thankfulness to chasing after the material.  Instead of wearing ourselves (and our wallets) thin at the shopping malls, why not spend another precious day with our loved ones?  When it's all said and done, they'll probably remember and treasure the special time baking cookies, or the hilarious afternoon of board games together in November more than any gift you give them in December.  

5 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Absolutely! You won't catch me near a store on that day! (Okay, I could be talked into going to a bookstore or Michael's, but that's it! Sometimes it's nice living in the boonies because those stores are two hours away!)

Kristin said...

I completely agree. This year at work we decided to "adopt" a family to buy Christmas presents for instead of drawing names and buying each other more stuff we didn't need. But SOME people STILL want to do the gifts! It upsets me. We don't need anything else. Not anything we would get at a work Christmas party anyway.

Kara said...

I agree. I've tried to get my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving so I won't be caught up in the rush and just enjoy the holidays. People can get a little crazy at those sales and I always find myself a little grumpy afterwards:)

Michelle said...

It is so crazy that day. I would much rather be with family! We have been known to go for a certain item, but MAN, it is way to nuts to go for long!

Unknown said...

I agree totally!! Our family tradition was to go buy our Christmas tree on Black Friday! We always bought one with roots so we could plant it! Nowadays, as a military family, we set up the artificial tree with lights in our living room - no ornaments tho until the week the Christmas! :)