Saturday, November 28, 2009

5 Things

I mentioned a few days ago this holiday week would be a good time for me to catch up on the blog tags I've gotten recently.  This third and final one comes from Kara @ Eskimo Kisses.


Five things that have shaped me as a mom:





1. My own parents and childhood.
I think it almost goes without saying that the things we experienced as a child and the way our own parents went about their parenting has a huge influence on the parents we become.  The traditions and methods that made us feel most loved and helped us experience the most joy out of life are easy to carry over and implement with our own kids.  Reading together, being tucked in at night, a candle in your birthday breakfast. All those little things that make up a happy childhood.  


And then, of course, there are those not-so-good things that tend to carry over whether we like it or not.  They sneak up on you.  Things like little pet peeves that you couldn't believe bothered your parents when you were little, but when your own kids do it, you understand in a whole new way.  But let's dwell on the happy memories, shall we?


My point is, I had an incredibly happy and secure childhood, and have a great respect for how my mom and dad brought us up.  There is a lot from them I choose to emulate as a mom!


2. My faith.
I could do a whole series of blog posts on this, but today I will leave it short and sweet: Our goal as parents is that everything we do, every correction, every act of discipline, would lead our children to know Jesus as their personal Savior.  To love the Lord with all their heart and with all their soul, with all their mind, and with all their strength.  To serve Him.


Now, that is our goal.  That is our ideal.  Does that always happen?  No.  Some days it may not even happen at all.  But as our kids are growing, so are we.  Thankfully, God is as patient with us as he is with them!


3. Homeschooling.
I have learned so much from the year and a half we have 'officially' been homeschooling.  My patience has been tested and stretched.  So has my creativity.  And endurance!  Between living it ourselves and the homeschoolers I have met, both in real life and online I have learned many lessons about homeschooling as a lifestyle.  




4. Reading and Research.
No matter how much you hear it before becoming a parent (or having a second child), it is still surprising to see the personality differences in your children.  I have seen so much over the last year or so the importance of truly knowing each child as an individual.  While consistency at home is important, it is also true that no two kids can be raised exactly alike.  In getting to know my oldest as he leaves his preschool years behind and grows up into an honest-to-goodness kid, I have done a lot of looking, asking and reading.  About boys.  About his personality types.  Some things I love and implement.  Others I throw out the window!  


Maybe it is just my personality, but researching to learn all about something I love comes naturally to me.  So it makes perfect sense that in the biggest venture of my adult life, I should do no less!


5.  Alan.
It is impossible to have a child born with a life-threatening condition and not be changed by it.  For better and for worse.  It changes your relationship with God, it changes your marriage, and it changes your parenting - in every-day tangible, practical ways, and in deeper, philosophical, emotional ways.  And while it isn't something I would have chosen for any of us to go through, I am thankful for the ways God has used it to shape each of us, and bring us closer to Him.




I'm passing this tag along, and can't wait to read how these bloggers have been shaped as moms:
1. Margie @ Dustbunnies and Divas
2. Michelle @ Five Little Wolfs
3. Karen @ Candid Diversions
4. Suzanne @ The Joyful Chaos
5. Kathi @ Bringing up Arrows

No comments: