Sunday, October 12, 2008

Take me out to the ball game

It's funny the random little memories that stick with you through life. One of mine comes from my junior year of college. I had been married less than a year and one of my friends was recently engaged. She invited me and another couple of friends to go wedding dress shopping with her. One of the four that headed out that Saturday morning was the pastor's wife, and the only one of us with children.

I was driving that day, and I have always remembered how this lady seemed so happy to be going along for the trip - having a day out with the 'girls' - and without her preschooler and toddler. She brought along a bottle of nail polish for the drive and her coffee mug. I remember the coffee mug because I hit a pot-hole and coffee splashed on her white shirt. I think she may have commented that she was used to having stuff spilled on her anyway. But I still felt kind of bad.

I thought of that little outing yesterday because I felt like she must have that day!

My parents came and picked me up yesterday morning while Greg kept the boys. I climbed into the backseat of their van and we headed out to see my sister perform.

She is a senior at the school where Greg and I met. The trip was extra special because I didn't get to go to any performances last year - mostly because of Alan. To be honest I haven't been much of anywhere (besides Children's) because of Alan!

So yesterday I felt like I had crawled out from under a rock into the bright beautiful sunshine! And thoroughly enjoyed myself. :)

It's been a while since I've gotten to enjoy band and guard. Even after I wasn't able to perform anymore (doggone graduation!) I was able to live vicariously by teaching and sponsoring a high school guard here and there. :) Including my sister's high school guard. And then she moved on to perform with 'my' college band. Of course, now it's hers too. She's in her fourth year!




She's the one in the front. ;)

So, let's review:
I love band & colorguard.
I am very proud of my school.
I love my sister.

I got to have an entire day off-duty as mom, spend lots of time visiting/traveling with my parents, and go to my school and see my sister perform in the colorguard with the band.

Yeah, I'd say it was a good day!

And I didn't even spill a thing. :)

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I actually teared up a little. :)
I love you too!
Go Reddies!!!

Natalie said...

I love HSU! Did you get to visit with Neal? I went a couple of weeks ago for the first time in two years. There is something about that place that just makes me smile. I am glad you had a great time. Being a mom makes you appreciate the small things... walmart trips alone, dates with hubby,ect...

Amy said...

Yes, there IS just something about being there that brings a smile. :) Happy memories, I guess? I know that place has played a huge role in where I am today!
No, we didn't get to visit with Neal this time. I hope we can visit lots of folks (including you guys!) on a trip to AR before too long!