Friday, October 10, 2008

In which I ramble my way through a recipe

I got a new recipe from a new friend and made it tonight. I thought I would share it here in case any of you have an abundance of zucchini from your own or someone else's garden. It looks like a lot of ingredients but it was super simple and quick to make, and turned out really good!

Zucchini Garden Chowder

3 med zucchini, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
2 Tb parsley
1 tsp basil
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. flour
1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper
3 c. water
3 chicken boullion cubes
1 tsp lemon juice
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes (or Rotel)
12 oz can evaporated milk
1 pkg frozen corn

1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Over medium heat, saute zucc, onion, parsley & basil in a large soup pot until tender. Stir in salt, pepper, & flour. Gradually stir in water. Add boulllion & lemon juice; mix well. Bring to a boil - cook & stir for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, milk & corn; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover & simmer 5 minutes or until corn is tender. (Or until everyone is ready to eat... stays warm well for quite some time). Stir in cheeses before serving. 2 1/2 quarts. Serves 6-8

Now y'all know me and that I can't seem to follow even the simplest recipe. In this one I left out the boullion and lemon juice and basil because I was out of all three. I only put in a tablespoon or two of Parmesan because that was all I had left (looks like I need to make a grocery list). And I might not have put in the whole 2 c. of cheddar because I got tired of grating. Pitiful, I know.

Oh. And I used canned corn. Because that is what I had.

And with all those changes it was still really good. Can you imagine if it had actually had everything in it!?

We had ours with cornbread and oven-baked sweet potato wedges (coated in olive oil, spiced w/cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper).

And now I'm off to make my grocery list... I seem to be out of a few things. ;)


**Well whaddya know? I went in search of a picture online of Zucchini Chowder, and found what must have been the original source for this recipe: Taste of Home! You can visit their website here for a picture and their version of the recipe. **

1 comment:

momtofivekids said...

I will try this! I love all kinds of soup, but there are only 3 that I make. So, time for something new! It sounds yummy!