Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Allergy free diet update

Here we are, 10 days in. Thank you all for your comments on my original allergy post last week.

Daniel's skin is looking great!  It cleared up around the one-week mark and has only continued to improve.

Just today I can begin to notice his little nose not being snotty, and he seems to cough less.  But when he does cough he still sounds a little congested.

I haven't seen the poop results I am looking for, but it's still early.

As far as the concerns I had for myself:

Yes, I miss cheese and all things dairy.  And peanut butter.  I miss peanut butter more than I thought I would!

Yes, I get hungry often.  But I snack often, too, so I don't think I've lost any weight.  I've eaten a lot of chips & salsa, bean dip (made my own), and hummus (made my own of that, too).  I'm on my second batch of granola. :)


The only 'cheats' have been a little bit of mayo (made with eggs) and tonight I floured my meat before I fried it.  I'm so certain dairy is the culprit I didn't see those cheats as a big deal.  The biggest hurdle was our monthly fellowship meal at church Sunday.  


Breakfast hasn't been as hard as I thought.  I did eat beans one day, because I was going out and didn't want to be snacking and hungry later.  The other days I've been eating (instant) oatmeal.  I discovered cooking it with a tablespoon or so of pumpkin helps make it nice and creamy. :)  I prefer making my own oatmeal instead of using instant but since I'm already making the boys breakfast every morning it's so much easier to just use the instant.

For a chocolate fix I discovered that chocolate syrup (the kind for ice cream and chocolate milk) is dairy free.  Not bad poured over bananas with a spoon. :)


But even better than that was a recipe for dairy free fudge I had saved!  Woohoo!  Mine didn't set up, but I didn't really care.  It was chocolate!

And every mama needs chocolate, right?

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Do a search for hazelnut butter and there are a lot of recipes for home made nut butters other than peanut butter, of course you probably already knew this, just sayin'. Also have seen a jar of Nutella (sp.) on the grocery shelves, has chocolate and some kind of nut, not sure whats in it.

Cindy said...

I don't know if mamas need chocolate but it seems as if every soul needs chocolate. You can do an amazingly lot with cocoa powder also dairy free. Put some in your oatmeal with soy milk. Tastes good! I always carry food around with me because I cannot eat most places. Always carry an apple with you. ;) Everyone is a food expert because everyone has to eat.

Arkansas Grandma said...

Thanks for the update. Darn ole dairy products. Good job, glad he is feeling better. (Love love love the picture) My sweet grandkids.