Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We all start out as 'homeschoolers'


From the time I mentioned it in a previous post, I have thought more and more about blogging about our kindergarten plans, and the idea just kept growing on me! Hopefully someone will find it interesting, and if not, it will at least be nice for me to get some of my thoughts and ideas written down in one place!

Before I get into what we will be doing specifically, I want to share a more general look at our philosophy. I have looked forward to homeschooling for over a year now, and done quite a bit of reading about it, from books, to blogs, to quite a few helpful websites.

I believe, like many others, that "homeschooling" starts from birth. All of those interactions with our babies and toddlers that make them feel loved and help their little minds grow are, in their own way, education at its simplest. Many of those things come naturally to most parents, others we learn and pick up along the way.

As our babies grow, we grow too, as their teachers. This is what has happened with Dale as he has come through his preschool years. We picked up more and more planned and/or structured activities as he became more ready and receptive to them.

As a result, he is more than ready academically to enter just about any kindergarten program out there. Plus he has a good variety of miscellaneous skills and knowledge in his repertoire. Not because he is exceptionally gifted or we are exceptional parents. It's just a lifestyle.

Maybe it is because of how naturally the learning has come in the last 4+ years that keeps the anxiety of "officially" starting kindergarten at bay. But it doesn't hamper our eager anticipation. :)

Like I said above, I've been doing lots of reading. I've learned there are lots and lots of methods and philosophies when it comes to homeschooling. And one in particular has really sparked my interest and shaped our plans as we continue to wade deeper into educating our children at home.

I'll save that for a later post. ;)

3 comments:

Linda said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your homeschooling endeavors. You always have the greatest ideas!

Kara said...

I think it is great you are homeschooling and can't wait to hear how you go about it!

Mommy said...

Looking forward to more posts on homeschooling. We are in the same boat; starting kindergarten! :)

And I know you have a smarter than adverage kindergarterner too.;-)