Thursday, July 24, 2008

If this is sibling rivalry, Bring. It. On!

I love watching the relationship between Dale and Alan grow and change. It seems to take shape into more and more of a friendship almost weekly.

We expect a few bumps along the way, especially as Alan becomes more of a kid and less a baby. As a baby he accepts a lot easier those times Dale takes away a toy or has other sharing... issues. And he is very agreeable about what to play and how.

However, we have begun to see shades of Alan making his own preferences known at playtime. We like seeing our boys stand up for themselves, though, and we think doing so with each other is good practice. As long as it is done respectfully, and without injury, of course. ;)

As far as sibling rivalry, though, we just don't see an overall jealousy of each other. All of us have our moments. But in general, Alan adores Dale and Dale is caring and gentle towards Alan.

There has been one area where they seem to want to compete, especially Dale. And, well, we're just going to let it be and hope it lasts.

And where do we see this competition? At cleanup time, of all things.

We have been teaching Alan how to do his share and pick up toys. All of a sudden in the last few days, Dale can't seem to stand being outdone by Alan. We tell Alan to start picking up and Dale goes even faster.

Sharing issues, perhaps?

Maybe, but at least it gets the job done, and quickly!

What about your kiddos? Is there much rivalry at your house?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Amazingly, I had two daughters that also adored each other. We didn't deal with a lot of sibling rivalry....except for one unfortunate incident one summer, home alone....but we'll not go into that here. ;)

Mommy said...

Oh Amy! I wish there was rivalry between my girls during clean up, LOL!
There is some rivalry between them, but for the most part, they get along well. I think Bean gets a tad bit jealous of Sweetie's accomplisments, and always has to be *in* there along with her, even if she dosen't know what is going on, LOL!
Sometimes they bite each other. I don't know where that came from??? I know toddlers like to do that, but a 4 year old and a 6 year old??? That just began this year though.

Well, to answer your question about FIAR supplement. I have never heard of it until you told me about it. :)

I am going to be using My Father's World, and I think they implement Character in there. Plus, I give them some good "character" training with their chores. Chores also brings about good discussions of "when I was little" and what happened when I didn't do what I was supposed to do.

I have the Doorposts Character book (can't remember the name), but never really took a good look at it. It was my Mom's when she was homeschooling me. Honestly, it looks too good two shoes for my liking. I am afraid that it will make the Bible seem like a list of rules instead of God wanting us to get to know Him kind of thing.

I'll have to think about the character thing. But I must say they have more character than I did when I was their age. :) So maybe I am doing something right.

Except for Bean's whining. Uggg. That's is the background noise at my house right now. The puppy jumpped on her face. I better go!