Thursday, August 16, 2007

Reading: books, minds & magazines

So... 5 minutes after I posted yesterday's blog Alan woke up. I hadn't even decided yet how I was going to spend my precious free time. Oh well. I ended up reading my book, though. Even though this was his second time awake after sleeping for an hour, he amazingly wasn't done yet, so I nursed him back to sleep and just held him while he slept for almost another hour, reading my book after he went to sleep.

I have decided that Alan can read my mind. It'd be kind of spooky, if he wasn't a baby. On the way home from church last night he was riding completely silent. I asked Dale if Alan was asleep or awake. (One of the handy perks of having a big sib in the backseat). Alan was awake. At this point, my thoughts moved to the fact that we'd be putting in a tube when we got home. Alan started to cry. Hmmm.
This morning my first conscious thought came as my eyes half-focused on the alarm clock (which hasn't 'alarmed' us awake in probably over a year, between Alan and cell-phone alarms..but it has nice big red numbers, so you know exactly what time it is each time you are awoken for various reasons in the night). Anyway, my first conscious thought as I read an only slighty blurry, '6:50', was "7:00....not bad". This thought hadn't even completely finished forming in my mind when... Alan started to cry. I'm telling you... he can read my mind.

Another way I know this, is that he will not let me read while he is nursing. I know I said earlier I read while he was napping, but that was while he was asleep. When he is nursing, even with his eyes closed, and is still awake, he cries and squirms and kicks until my hands are holding nothing but him. It's like he knows he doesn't have my full attention. Why he thinks he needs my full attention while he eats I do not know. I just know he gets it.

I've been in a pretty cranky mood today. I don't know....cranky is too irritable of a word to describe it. But down seems too mild. Somewhere inbetween I guess. However you describe it, it made for an interesting moment of discipline indecision today. After Alan's super-duper 2 hour nap this morning, Dale and Alan and I were all on the floor on our tummies. Alan was alternating between bobbing his head up and down, or shaking it like he was trying to get loose from a cobweb. (Please don't write me and tell me this is a sign of some sort of nervous disorder... I think I'd rather just be oblivious, thinking he was doing something cute! lol). While he gestured with his head, Dale and I would take turns 'talking' for him, sing-songing "yessss" or "nooooo", which would then send Dale into a fit of giggles, and I would laugh at both of them, and Alan would grin and switch back to either bobbing or shaking, which would start the whole process over.
After a pretty long time of this game, the moment was wearing out and evolving into something else. I started to play 'Where is Thumbkin' with Alan, but Dale, who wasn't ready to be done with the head bobbing, tried to stop me by grabbing my hands. In the process he bumped my lip. It didn't really hurt, but the whole thing really made me mad. I knew I was in a bad mood, and I didn't want that to color my reaction to Dale, so I just got up and left. I felt like the kid on the playground whose idea for a game is laughed at by the other kids as the most ridiculous thing, even though just yesterday it was their idea to play. Huh. I know.... very grown-up of me to feel dissed by my 4-year old. Oh well...I'm just going to chalk it up to 'one of those days!'

Yay! The Poll has votes! There is one thing I have never liked about polls, and I've done it to myself: "OTHER". So now, curiosity is killing me. What is the other that I coudln't think of to include in the list of answers that not just one, but TWO people eat for breakfast!?! Oh please leave a comment and let us all know...we might want some too! :) And if you haven't voted...Go Vote!! :)

Caution: Abrupt subject change ahead, followed by an equally abrupt ending!
Our sofa & loveseat meet each other at right angles, in front of a book-case sitting cross-wise across a corner. Now that you are thouroughly confused about our furniture arrangement, I'll go ahead and make my point. Cute story #3 for today. This arrangement leaves what a designer would call 'wasted space' but what Dale calls his 'hole'. He crawls in occasionally to do this or that. Alan found it today, and obviously thought it was a good place to read (or in infant terms, eat) a magazine. This was too much for Dale to pass up, so he joined him:


1 comment:

brwilliams said...

HI! So my "other" breakfast would have to be left over pizza, brownies, or a cookie maybe, or if i am really lucky a few mini snickers in the cabinet. HAHA! This is terrible, I know.