Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Corn dogs and construction paper

Monday, August 6
Just Another Music Monday. Dale is getting very clever. He asked me Sunday night if he could watch his Thomas video on music Monday, since it had music on it when it came on and went off. Ahh...good point, but the answer was still no. Instead, I opened a package of inflatable instruments that we've had stuck back for a while. I think they were supposed to be decorations, but Dale didn't care. We started with the guitar, then added on the microphone. We saved the saxophone for the afternoon.
We spent the morning doing this and that and trying to get ready to go to Paris to get groceries and a few prescriptions. We went right after lunch and picked up Kristin to go with us- this is her one week off between work and school.
Got what we needed, and had to shop fast since Alan was pretty restless and not content to just ride. We stopped at Sonic on the way home for their half-price drinks. I better be careful - this could become a habit!! Dale was hungry, so I bought him a corndog. He decided he didn't want it, so Kristin and I began to share it. He then decided he wanted it after all, so he finished it. Nothing like a couple of people oohing and ahhing over what was supposed to be yours to really make you want it!

Both boys fell asleep on the way home. Alan first. He woke up not long after getting home. Dale slept in the van the whole time I was bringing in groceries and putting them away. I finally went and woke him up, afraid he would get too hot.
In the afternoon I finally got around to helping Dale make a paper chain to count down to his birthday. He knows it's August, but was having trouble understanding how long the wait would be, so we made 18 links and hung them from his headboard, to take one down every night at bedtime. I think he gets it now that it's going to be a little while! I don't help any in his impatience - both this year and last year I've bought his plates, napkins, etc 2 or 3 weeks early... in his presence. Oh well...builds excitement, right? Yesterday, as we hurried through the grocery store I bought a cake mix, frosting, and some sprinkles for his cake. The sprinkles were an impulse buy....didn't know what I was going to do with them. But as I unpacked at home, I thought of the perfect thing! I'm pretty happy with my idea for his cake this year. I'll just wait for the pics before I share here. :) BTW...Dale's birthday is the 23rd, and his party theme for this year is the Cars movie.
After supper I went over to Mom & Dad's for a little while - still working on that anniversary slideshow project. While I was gone Greg put Alan and Dale to bed. How lucky am I?! I found out he had a very interesting conversation with Dale. They were talking about when Alan was born. Greg told Dale where he (Dale) was born, and then where Alan was born. Dale asked, "Where was I?" Greg reminded him of being in the waiting room and who he was with. Dale then says, "When Alan is a kid and not a baby anymore can we go back to the hospital and get another baby?" I guess being a big brother is a pretty good deal if he wants to sign up for more!
Alan is finally starting to get somehwere on his tummy, literally. No crawling, but he can scoot far enough to get something that is out of reach. Won't be long now! (better start thinking about some serious baby-proofing...especially since, unlike Dale did, Alan does put everything in his mouth!)

Random thought for the day:
I love cheese. I love it melted over a casserole, sliced with crackers or fruit, on a sandwich or in a tortilla. I love cheese! :) Mom, Kristin & I had our own little cheese-tasting party this past winter while Kristin was home over the Christmas holidays. Tried 2 completely new kinds of cheese, plus a new variety of cheddar. Yum & fun! We should do that again!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I think we should make our cheese-tasting a holiday tradition!

Amy said...

I second that! Should we keep a log (cheese log - ha) of what we've tasted so we don't forget? Count me in! :)

Michelle said...

Cheese, glorious cheese! My favorite at the moment is swiss, which tends to be a little expensive if you get the good kind. (Which of course you would want to, because otherwise, what is the point?)