Sunday, August 12, 2007

7 Years


Today Greg and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary. We agree this has definitely been the hardest year yet, with Alan's diagnosis and ongoing aftermath and all of Greg's job issues. So while we didn't do anything big in celebration, it has been an interesting time to commemorate our anniversary, and it feels like quite a milestone!

We got started early on the 12th: 4:30am!! Come on, Alan... is that really necessary?! The three of us were up until 6:30. We all got up again around 8. I'm afraid Alan is starting to itch...one of the possible side effects of liver disease.

I made a big breakfast for our anniversary, at Greg's request, and then we set out for church. Alan has fallen in love with the acoustics in some of the rooms at church. It's kind of hard to have a Sunday School lesson with a 'barking' baby! Lol!
Had Pizza Hut lunch with Mimi, Gramps & Kristin. Kristin goes back to school tomorrow, so we won't see her for about 6 weeks. She has a tradition of giving Dale his birthday present early before she goes back to school. That works out good, since, like any good aunt, her presents are always super fun new toys. We all remember Dale's 1st b-day when he opened Kristin's gift first - a big red truck - and couldn't care less about anything else! So it works out well for hers to get done first, and not out-shine the rest of us when we give him boring ol' clothes and puzzles, lol. This year was a CAT loader with a remote control. Woohoo! (and for those of you that find yourselves opening new kid toys periodically, you will appreciate this: not only was it held in the package with sevearl major twisties, it was fastened to the package with 12 metal screws!!)

After church tonight Alan was in his highchair (doing great with finger foods!) and pulled out his Tube. While we never look forward to that, we were kind of expecting it. This one may have been our longest one yet - somewhere around 3 weeks. It wasn't staying closed very well, so it was about time for it to go anyway. Alan had a bath to get rid of all his supper residue and help soak off the old tape.

Dale ate a sandwich, and then hopped in the tub for a little while too.


After we got the tube in and got Alan to bed, Greg, Dale & I watched our wedding video. It was the first time Dale has seen it, and the first time Greg & I have watched it in a couple of years. I never dreamed when I pledged "in sickness and in health" that would mean the sickness of our child. You just don't expect or plan for those sort of things. It was really interesting to listen to the minister's message and the vows we made each other in light of the past year. Very uplifting. I'd like to watch it again soon.
Greg asked Dale if he was going to get married someday. When Dale said yes, Greg asked him who he was going to marry. I was hoping he would give the proverbial little boy answer to that question, and he didn't let me down: "Mama" he said. :) Awwww.... thanks sweetie. ;)
And how (other than blogging) did I end my 7th anniversary? By hand-washing a pair of my dear husbands dirty socks for tomorrow. :) Not sure if that falls more under "for richer & poorer" or "in plenty and in want", but either way, he's got clean socks for Monday! :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary! It has been a hard time, but God has used you to bless me with your amazing witness in spite of your baby's health. May God continue to bless your marriage.

Barry Stevens said...

Hi Amy & Greg. Mom sent me your blog url a few days ago and I just had a chance to check it out. First of all let me give a big congrats shot out for your anniversary. Secondly let me tell you that I have been lifting Alan and the rest of the family up in my prayers every night prior to going to bed. There is not a night that goes by that I don't pray for all of you. Pray that God would heal Alan and give the rest of you strength, hope and peace that only GOD can provide, pease that passes all understanding. I know this has been a very difficult year for you all. Hold on to your faith! GOD is good! From reading some of your Blog entries I can tell that you are grounded in your faith and that you are Faithful to him. He will bless you and your family for that. It has been so long since I have seen you, I can remember very well when you were Alan's age. Boy, how time flies. You are 27, my oldest niece (Michelle) is 25 and about to be 26 next month. Don't blink!!! Enjoy every minute with your children and thank GOD for them, for one day they will be all grown up and giving you grandchildren.. Not trying to make you feel old or anything but it's just a fact of life. Life is short, make the most of every day and give thanks to our creator for all his blessings. I need to get your email address. When you get a chance if you would send me an email so I can put it in my email directory. I have several email adresses. I'll give you a couple. You can use bstevens7@houston.rr.com or steve22@houston.rr.com Well, there are a few more but that will do the job. Note: Real soon my email address will change because my internet provider just sold to another company. I don't think much will change in regards to service but my address will reflect there name "Comcast" When this happens I will be sure to notify everyone in my address book. In closing, I just wanted to send you a note and let you know that your family down here in Houston are praying earnestly for Alan and the family. Take care of yourself!!! I love you!! Your second cousin, Barry Stevens.. I think that is how it works. Your mother is my cousin.. :-)... GOD BLESS!!!