Thursday, July 19, 2007

Water slides and pizza pies!

Water Wednesday




On Tuesday, Kristin came to see Dale. When asked, he told her that Wednesday would be water Wednesday. Kristin asked him what he was going to do on Water Wednesday. Dale said (in all seriousness), "drink water." I will use this as an opportunity to let it be known that the reason Kristin came to see Dale on Tuesday was to take him out for a snow cone. He got to ride with her in her car and pick out the flavor himself and everything. There...whew! Better late than never. I sort of got in 'trouble' for leaving that out of Tuesday's blog!! Hope I don't find myself hoping to be treated to a snowcone anytime soon! :)

So...back to Water Wednesday... we set up the swimming pool and Dale's little slide close together, with the sprinkler in-between, running high enough to reach both the pool and the slide.
It took a little convincing to get him to slide down the slide, but he did a few times.















Before Dale's water time, Greg spent a lot of time Wednesday working on another of his house projects. Not the bathroom this time, lol! Of course, Dale was lots of help with that, asking a million questions and occasionally shining the light in Greg's eyes. About the time Greg finished up it was warm enough for Dale to get wet and time for Alan to take a nap. Greg was more than happy to sit inside with Alan and I sat outside with Dale, in the shade, reading a book. Ahhhh....
Dale got his fill of swimming and said he wanted a snack with lots and lots of things to eat. :) It does make you hungry, you know!

Our church and a few others locally went to another church's revival instead of our regular Wednesday services. This church is north of town, out in the country in a direction Dale isn't unsed to going. It seems like a long way, but it can't be much more than 10 miles. (If you aren't familiar with this area, you should know that a few miles west of town is another little town called Detroit.) So...we get out at this church that is unfamiliar to Dale, and he says, "We're between Detroit and Disneyworld!" LOL!!

I spent a lot of time on the phone Wednesday. I started out thinking I was taking a little shortcut, but it ended up being an all-out ordeal - long story short, we are switching companies that supply all of Alan's feeding tube supplies. Like I said, I didn't know when I started out that was what would end up happening, but I am very, very happy about it!! Instead of using the Dallas company the hospital assigned to us back in May, we will now be using the local pharmacy that does Alan's compounds. We've got our fingers crossed that this transition goes smoothly as we exchange pumps and get everything ironed out with insurance.

Thinking Thursday
Yes....thinking. I couldn't think of anything better that started with a 'th'. I think it's going to be ok, though. If we continue on for a few weeks, it will offer a lot of variety. Today I decided we would learn about turtles, since Dale asked last week what they eat and I could only guess. I got a notebook and one of Dale's jumbo pencils, and on the first page numbered 1-4. After number one I wrote: "What do turtles eat?". I left numbers 2-4 blank.


This afternoon we went to the library and took a couple of children's encyclopedias over to the kids' table. Dale and I sat down and started reading. He seemed to be about 70% interested (at the most). He was into the turtle thing, though, because almost as soon as we had walked in the door he went straight for the stuffed Franklin toy (For those of you unfamiliar with Franklin, he is a storybook character that just so happens to be a turtle.) I didn't make Dale stay seated by my side or anything, but everytime I read across a turtle fact I thought he might find interesting, I would call him over and we'd write it in the notebook. After we found four things, he picked out a Franklin book to take home. Later I found some turtle fingerplays and rhymes online and a turtle coloring sheet to print. We never got to those, but they will be good for another day.

I took my turn in the bathroom this morning while Greg had kid duty. We decided a few days ago that it would definitely need a second coat, and with a brush this time instead of a roller. I volunteered. Eh. I really, really wanted to whine and complain....it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. (Oh yes....that probably explains why I feel so tired right now!) But I didn't complain...mainly because Greg hasn't complained about bathroom duty once in all this time!!
Nana came by to see the boys this morning while I was painting. Dale has been talking about his birthday a lot lately (it's August 23) and has decided that his party will be at Nana & PawPaw's. Not sure why he thinks this!

After some debate and indecision, we decided to go to Paris for supper tonight. Went to CiCi's for pizza buffet. Yum - as always (and they play great Christian music!) :) Kristin went with us. We got there in a downpour with the sun still shining and a GIANT rainbow stretched across the sky - you could see the entire thing!! We sat by the windows to enjoy the view. Kristin's friend Brittney (a reader of this blog, or so I've heard! Hi Brittney!!!) stopped in for a few minutes not long after we got there.


By the time we got to dessert, everybody but me had migrated to the same side of the table, lol!








Dale got to ride on the train they have over in one corner, and we let him spend some quarters on a bouncy ball from one of the many candy & toy machines. We hardly ever, ever go for one of those things, but for some reason it seems to be part of the CiCi's experience. I don't know... cheap entertainment? :)





We went to WalMart afterward for some odds & ends shopping. My sunglasses snapped into two pieces the other day - right in my hands! - so that was one thing on the list. Greg decided it was finally time for new pillows, and we picked up some baby food. This happens to be on the same aisle as toilet paper, which we happened to be almost out of, so Greg picked some of that up to. Only thing is...those are some bulky items... What happened to Dale!?!?











Ahh...there he is! :) Comfy ride! :)

Got buckled into the van and ready to go home. Alan must have not liked Daddy's driving on the way over...we got ready to go and he looked like he was holding on for dear life!

He must not have been too afraid though, he ended up polishing off a bottle (Yay Alan!) and falling asleep on the way home.

No comments: