Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sleeping and eating

So....Dale spent Friday night with Mimi & Gramps. That meant we only had one kiddo here Saturday morning. Said kid decides to wake up @ 5:50am!!! :-0 Greg and I worked together to get him back to sleep, but it just wasn't gonna work. Greg sent me back to bed (yay!) since it would be easier for him to get a nap later. I got to sleep until 9!! What a luxury!! Greg and Alan did their thing... cereal, meds, etc. When I got up, Greg had just gotten Alan down for a nap, and was about to get to work in the bathroom.
My Dad brought Dale home just before lunch. Everything had gone great the night before; yay Dale! :) After lunch I got my turn at working in the bathroom. The project of the day was re-caulking all we had peeled the night before. I was the clean-up crew: Greg caulked, and I went in and made it look good. :) Hey...makes sense... it was a lot like putting on makeup or icing a cake! :) We put Dale down for his nap, and Alan and I headed over to my parent's house so Greg could sleep. Also so I could shower to get ready for the concert, since our tub couldn't get wet for 36 hours! ;-)
Alan, Mom, Kristin & I ran a quick errand to the church, and took Alan with us. He fell asleep on the way back. We left him in his carseat and carried him upstairs in it with us. He slept for over 2 hours!!!!!!! For Alan this is just unheard of. It was getting closer and closer to time for me to go home and finish getting ready, but I was not about to wake him up, especially since he would be out late for his benefit concert. By the time he finally woke up and I got home, I had about 30 minutes to get him and me ready, and feed him. We made it. :)
The concert was WONDERFUL. Every song and singer were all so worshipful. I felt like I hadn't worshipped or praised like that in a long time. Even though the reason for having the concert was as a fundraiser for Alan's medical expenses, we didn't want the focus to be on us and what 'great people' we are and how well we're handling things or anything like that. We wanted all of the praises to go to God, and for Him to be lifted up, and wow, was He! Plus the messages of so many of the songs touched me very deeply - bringing back memories of Alan's diagnosis and first hospital stay. Kind of made me look back on what has really been a short journey, so far, time-wise, and realize how great God has been to us, not only through this, but all the way back to sending His Son to die for us, long before we were ever born. What love! Some of the songs sung were:
The Answers - a song all about how every answer we will ever need is in God's word
Four Days Late - reminder from the story of Lazarus that God's timing is always perfect, no matter how dire things seem to us
Redeemer - my favorite quote from this song: "the very same hands that hold me when I weary...they conquered death, to bring me victory"
The Anchor Holds
How Great is Our God

Grace - the singer wrote this song herself....it was incredible
Cry out to Jesus
There were quite a few more...loved them all!
And the money raised...? Well...we are just floored and humbled and honored and grateful at the generosity of our family, church family, and community. There are some expenses and possibilities that we won't have to worry about now. :)


So - we got home from the concert past the boys' bedtimes...got them into bed ASAP. Around 3 Alan woke up and had trouble going back to sleep. We gave him a dry diaper and I ended up nursing him (always nervous about this since he's on that continuous feed). Here is where things just get unbelievable.... That boy slept until TEN O'CLOCK this morning!!!! We kept checking on him to make sure he was breathing! He has gotten up at 7 or before for days and days and days now! Wow!!! Since he slept so late, just Greg and Dale went on to Sunday School and Alan and I followed in time for church. We let Dale stay in the nursery - we usually bring him into church with us - and decided to leave Alan too. It was just the second time I've ever left him, and the first time he made it through the whole service! :) It was SO NICE to be able to sit through church, and actually listen to the sermon with both ears and not have to constantly be wrangling and/or correcting a kid. Alan about wore out those poor ladies keeping the nursery though - he's a demanding little toot!

Spaghetti for lunch, and Alan ate cereal with us since we didn't have time before church. We napped and watched the race until church time. Invited ourselves over to Mimi & Gramps' for supper and watching the end of the race after church. (*waving* Hi Mom!! :D ) Had tacos and ice cream. Alan finished a whole 2 oz bottle of juice with a little bit of formula mixed in. This gives me a lot of hope for getting him to take a bottle of formula if I keep working with him.... I think I can wean him gradually off the juice and on to straight formula. I'll have to make him think it was his idea, though. ;)
Got home right at bedtime (a late bedtime) again tonight. Got both boys into bed pretty quickly.
Tomorrow is another big day. I'm starting a week of "Kid Camp" with Dale. Just something I made up so the two of us do something fun together each day. Tomorrow is Music Monday. Going to make a shaker instrument - whoohoo! :)
We also have company coming tomorrow - friends from Arkadelphia (2 hrs away) where Greg and I met and went to college. There is also an ice cream social in our neighborhood tomorrow evening.... we'll see if we make it to that or not!!! :)

No comments: