Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ka-neen Ka-nose

Surprise, surprise! I'm blogging early!! :)

A couple of years ago there was a commercial that showed people trying to hit a home run to win getting their mortgage paid off. Greg and I always got a laugh out of this one guy that struck out and then stomped off hitting himself in the forehead and muttering (very angrily) "stupid, stupid!!".
I feel just like that guy right now. I sat down to blog with both boys asleep. I thought I would do my blogging now instead of in the evening when Greg is home since our time together is so much shorter now. I looked at my camera and saw I had pics of Dale for today, but none of Alan. I thought: How sweet would it be to sneak in and get a pic of him sleeping? (This is where you sense the foreshadowing and start willing me "No! Don't do it!")


Walked up to the crib without making and sound, and ... Alan's eyes popped wide open. I was caught.
"Stupid! stupid!!!"


So now, here I sit, with my little buddy playing in his walker right behind me. I don't think he's too thrilled about being awake, but there is no way on earth I could get him back to sleep right now.











Thankfully, for some of the dumb stunts like that, I have to say I also have my occasional moments of genius. ;) Coming up with Kid Camp was definitely one of those moments! :) Yay for Kid Camp!!! :) The amazing thing is, it is so simple! We don't do anything spectacular or anything, but I guess having something to look forward to is what makes it work so well. I have always rotated Dale's toys, pulling out something 'new' and putting away the 'old' at random times. But knowing on Sunday that you're going to play with your instruments tomorrow builds anticipation, making it that much more fun when they come down from the closet.
Last week Dale's Aunt Sandra gave him 2 Thomas videos. (*Hi Sandra!! :) * ) He watched one the very DAY we came home from camping, and we saved the other one for Thomas Tuesday. We started it not long after breakfast this morning, and about halfway through I came in and gave him some of his trains.
Watching the story lines on tv must have given him a lot of inspiration, because he played and played all morning, with all sorts of new dialogue and adventures!
(Oops - actually, Sandra is my aunt, which would make her Dale's Great Aunt, but you get the idea!) :)




Got another early start today.... Alan woke up at 5:50! I nursed him. 6:00 - he was done nursing, but still awake. Greg gave it a shot until 6:10, but then he had to go to work. So... Alan and I entertained each other for a while. It's amazing how much a baby can love Itsy Bitsy Spider over and over again so early in the morning. Even more amazing is how much animation a mom can put into Itsy Bitsy Spider so early in the morning!! :) Even though it was an early start, the day seemed to get off to a slow start. Dale joined us around 7 or 7:30. A thunderstorm blew up about that time too. It was dark and rainy for a couple of hours. I had fleeting thoughts about how much I would loooooove to have been covered up in bed right about then, but - no use dwelling on that! (I'll just have another cup of coffee, thank you very much)

Started a load of laundry. I have to admit, I don't mind laundry at all. In fact, I sort of (*gasp!*) enjoy it! There is just something oddly satisfying about a job that has such definite, repetitive steps. It's always the same - start the machine, put in the clothes, put in the soap, let the machine do the work. And the results are always the same - clean, wonderful smelling clothes. I always feel so good putting them away, too. There is no question of where does this go? or what should I do with this? And even there is NO way to get every single item of clothing clean at the same time (at least not while still remaining clothed! :-o ) it doesn't even bother me that this is a task that has no end. Now doing dishes and sweeping the floor, well... that's a different story. ;)

Mrs. Shelley came today. It's been a while because she was on vacation and we have gone to once a month between visits. Come to think of it, we had to wake Alan up from his first nap of the day to get checked out by her - so he's been woken up twice today!

Got a call from the lady setting things up at our new pump supplier saying our current insurance coverage expires today. What!?! We knew things would have to switch over to the new district, but it is the same provider. Plus we thought this switch wouldn't happen until August 31st/Sept 1st, but apparently we were a month off. Made a few phone calls, and have been assured that there will be no lapse in coverage, but things are kind of in limbo until all the right paper-work gets done. Ugh. It's never easy is it? I wouldn't call this exaclty 'seamless' (as we were told it would be), but I won't complain. Just "thank you Lord" for insurance, right?!?!

Alan has forgiven me (sort of) for waking him up. I thought at one point I had him back asleep, (during my 'ode to clean laundry'), but that didn't work out. So for now he's happy playing in his high chair, and the race is on to see if I can get supper made while that lasts! :)




**And now - the explanation: My parents tell me that when I was little I often replaced my L's with N's. Thus, "clean clothes" became "cnean cnothes" (ka-neen ka-nose). :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I understand about the laundry, but my joy is vacuuming. Talk about instant gratification! You run your vacuum over the dirt and it is gone, taadaa!

And I think the Kid Camp idea is awesome. Dale seems to love it, and if it keeps him happy and busy, isn't it nearly worth it's weight in gold?!? :-)

Insurance, while a necessary and wonderful evil, can be irritating. I will pray that everything continues on as you need it. ttyl!
Michelle