Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Weird things happen.

Every once in a while, some odd little occurance pops up in our life. Not spooky enough for Unsolved Mysteries or sensational enough for the news. Just weird, random, seemingly unexplainable things.

We've had several of those "Huh. That's weird." moments lately.

For one thing, Greg had a shirt come out of the laundry all messed up. And I don't mean because it sat too long in the washer, soaking up the blue ink of the wet shirt next to it. No, I've done that enough for it to be explainable when I see it, unfortunately.

No, this shirt appeared to be mildewed. And had looked like it had faint bleached patches all over.

But it hadn't been sitting with anything wet or damp.

And it hadn't been near any bleach.

But it's still ruined.

Weird.


And then, I unconsciously took note of a dark spot on Dale's pj's when he got out of bed. Didn't think much of it, until I noticed the dark crusties under his nose.

Whaaaat? I checked his sheets and, sure enough, he'd had a nose bleed while he was asleep! Dale has never had a nose bleed once in his life, and all of a sudden he has quite a nice one in his sleep.

Weird.

While we're talking random occurences, let's not forget last week's visit from a wild turkey.

And finally, strangest of all, this grew in our yard:


Why yes, yes that is a column of mud!

It was less than half an inch tall when we left for church. I didn't think much about it - I just figured Dale had dumped out some mud out of the bottom of some cup or something. It was right near the water faucet. Impromptu mud pie. Not weird.

But coming along a few hours later to find it about 4 inches tall?

Weird.

After I took pictures for the blog evidence, Greg started digging. Did you know we have some sort of pipe thing right out front here? No? We didn't either!


It looks like Greg's hand is there presenting our newly found pipe in a 'ta-da' sort of way.

But if you know Greg you know he's not that much of a 'ta-da' sort of guy. He just had his muddy hand sitting there and kindly left it for me to take a picture of it next to our new hole for a size comparison. :)

We never saw the bottom of our new pipe-thingy - we couldn't get all the water out. And we're still not completely sure what it is or what it's for, although we have some theories. (And are open to more, if you have one). But we are fairly certain that we have a slow water leak of some sort. (and that's what pushed up the dirt into that fine column, as seen above).

Greg is thrilled.

He starts work this week. And it is a well-known fact that the only time better to have a water leak is when it is 33 degrees outside, almost dark, and starting to sleet.

Unless it's a sewer leak. Then anything over 100 is preferable.

Oh well. He'll have to settle for 107 and starting back to work after the summer off. Life's just weird like that. ;)

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that strange stuff happens at your house too. Yes?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

That is truly odd. Could it be some kind of homemade French drain?

Mommy said...

Hmmmm...weird! ;-)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything weird. Oh wait, yes I can.

Once my DH couldn't find his keys where he thought he left them; on the kitchen table. He asked me where they were, and I said I didn't know.

Then he walked back to the bedroom to look for them, and I continued doing what I was doing. Then he came back, and said, "Where did you find them?"

"Find what?" I asked.

"The Keys" he said

"I didn't find them" I replied

"Well they are here on the kitchen table, where I "thought" I left them."

That was kind of weird.

fairenuff said...

Hey Amy,
Nothing strange ever happens at our house... no siree! Everything is ALWAYS normal, bwahahahahah!!

Ok, I confess, this is a strange house full of strange people. There, I said it! lol

Hugs
Sam
xxx