Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Praise Him, Praise Him! ... and please pass the gravy

I have been extremely blessed to always have a piano in my home, both as a little girl, and all of my married life. (That's not it in the above pic, by the way) ;)

I have a feeling there are many who would love a piano and don't have one, and I don't want to take it for granted. Of course, those poor men in our family who had to move that piano 5 times in 3 years probably didn't consider it a blessing, but I still thank them for lending their muscles. :) And being so careful! Not much stresses me more than seeing a piano being moved. I can never watch.

I'm in no way a "Pianist" or anything. I play enough to get by, and more for my own enjoyment than anything else.

I like to sit down and the piano and flip through my old hymnal, playing what appeals to me at the time.

Sometimes I like to play fast and loud, just letting the mistakes fly. Songs like When We All Get to Heaven, and Count Your Blessings. Or if the boys are around, Deep & Wide.

Other times I'll pick a key and actually try to improve my playing. Crazy idea, I know. At least my musician husband tells me so. ;)

Sometimes I can talk to God by playing piano better than in any other way. Many godly people have so eloquently put into words what I can only feel in my heart. I love to sing those songs to God, and to hear what He might say to me through them. My own private little worship time.

Sometimes I play piano as a time filler. Waiting on time to go somewhere, or when I should be doing something else. It's a great way to spend a little energy before moving on to the next thing.

And sometimes, I kid you not, I'll be right in the middle of a hymn and think of creamed corn.
Apparently when I was a kid I thought as much about the upcoming Sunday lunch at my grandparents as I did about singing. Some hymns have also brought up thoughts of mashed potatoes.

What can I say? I'm a spiritual chick. ;)

No comments: