Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Polish Reuben Casserole

Aww... you guys make me feel good, all asking for my recipes & stuff. More to follow from our Big Ten menu, but since we started with this casserole on Saturday, I thought I would start with it here, too. It has such a distinctive taste, it isn't something we have very often - probably just 3 or 4 times a year, if that often. I think it would be easy to burn out on. So don't do that, ok?! :)

Polish Reuben Casserole

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tb mustard
2 16 oz cans sauerkraut, rinsed & drained
8 oz. uncooked egg noodles
1 1/2 lbs Polish sausage, cut in slices
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 Tbs butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Combine soup, milk, onion, & mustard. Spread sauerkraut in pan. Top with uncooked noodles. Pour soup mixture evenly over noodles. Cover with sausage. Top with cheese. Combine bread crumbs & butter, sprinkle over cheese. Cover with foil; bake 1 hour or until noodles are tender. (8-10 servings)

Now let me tell you, they weren't kidding when they said 8-10 servings. I halfed (halved?) this recipe for us the other night, and we didn't even eat half of it! We reheated the leftovers and ate them on whole-wheat rolls sandwich style - something we will definitely do again!

No comments: