Thursday, January 3, 2008

Trying again - Getting the Call

Ok. Let's try this again. When I sat down yesterday to post, I didn't know what I was going to say. I just felt the need to do a "brain dump" as some bloggers call it.

And what came out was the story of the night we got the call. What started the whole ball rolling on getting us here in the first place.

And then I accidentally deleted the whole thing. Oops.

But in the spirit of 'getting back on the horse' I will now perform my second attempt. ;)

Saturday, December 29th
Early evening - the tension of waiting for the call had gotten really intense for Greg and me both. We have both felt it off and on for weeks, but this lingered for several hours. The magnitude of what we were facing, and the uncertainty of the timing of it was really weighing on our hearts and minds.

8:30pm - As I put Dale to bed, I found myself explaining to him again about how it would be when Alan got his new liver. It had been a week or two since we had really talked about it with him, and I reminded him, "Some day soon Alan is going to go get his new liver. We don't know when it will be. That will be a surprise. Children's will call and tell us it is time to go get it."
6 hours later.... they called!

Sunday, December 30th
1:30am - Alan woke up, like he often does during the night. I went in and nursed him. He was really restless, which was starting to become a regular thing for the past few days.

2:00am - I laid Alan in bed and he immediately woke up. Frustrated, I flopped back into our bed and told Greg Alan was awake. He went in to get him and I drifted back to sleep.

2:20am - Greg brought Alan into our room to tell me how Alan couldn't seem to relax. He would almost be asleep and then cry or jerk awake. I told him I had noticed this was an emerging pattern and there was most likely nothing wrong. Greg and Alan went back to the living room.

2:33am - I was almost asleep again, and my cellphone rang. At 2:30 in the morning. A unique ringtone. Caller ID unavailable. At 2:30 in the morning. I knew. I ran with it to the living room. Greg had heard it. He knew, too. I steadied my voice the best I could and answered the call.

Not to leave ya hangin', but that's about all my scattered, sleep-deprived brain can do for now! :)


Michelle said...

Ooooh leaving us hanging!

Shannon said...

I must be emotional today. I'm almost crying and I haven't even heard what exactly happened yet. Looking forward to your next post. :)

Kristin said...

What a cliffhanger!!! Luckily for me you told right up to the part that I enter in! Haha. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so praying for your family! Tell us how you are doing, how Greg is doing, how Dale is doing, too.

And do post soon!

Christy said...

Gosh that reminds me of the days leading up to my daughter heart surgery. I am praying all is well.