Sunday, December 23, 2012

Being still

Today was one of those Sundays that we thought we were doing great on time and then realized as we headed out the door to church - we were late.

As I ushered everyone out the door to the van, I went back in for one more thing and realized not one child out there buckling up had their hair combed.  Apparently being rushed and late wasn't bothering me too badly, because as I reached into the bathroom cabinet I heard this little ditty in my head:
"Oh the hair outside is frightful,
but the clothes are so delightful.
And since we won't be at home,

Grab a comb, grab a comb, grab a comb!"

Why yes, I was quite amused with myself.

Turns out we were just a few minutes late - no big deal.

During Sunday School I sat in a quiet room nursing Daniel and thinking.  (Ok, I'm not gonna lie - I also put a second coat of polish on my nails.)  First I thought about how fast the first 10 weeks of Daniel's life have flown by.  Then I thought about the week of Christmas festivities ahead and wished they would pass slowly.

It seems like when you are busy with a list of things to do time rushes past, but when you are waiting on something things go slowly.

So I wondered, even with all of the Christmas preparations left to do, how could I reverse that and savor these days instead of rushing through them?

And then it hit me:

"Be still, and know that I am God" -Psalm 46:10

and 

"Wait on the LORD" - Psalm 27:14

With those verses in mind, my goal over the next few days is to be able to stop in the midst of the busyness and enjoy God's presence and his presents.  The gifts of his son, his word, my kids, family, and even this season itself, to celebrate.  I want to savor and enjoy this week, not just look back on it later and wonder where it went as I stayed busy preparing for it!

Merry Christmas to you!  Slow down and enjoy it! :)

2 comments:

Daniel and Jaynee Lockwood and Family said...

I love your little ditty! :) Merry Christmas! May you enjoy every moment!

Kristin said...

Merry Christmas. :)