Saturday, August 13, 2011

Our School (and other things) Room

Week two of the Not Back to School Blog Hop brings us to our school room, and I am so excited to be doing this post!  Don't be fooled by the fact it is 4 days late. ;)


I am excited because.... we have a brand new school room!  Some while back, Daddy Buffalo had the splendid idea to flip-flop our furniture arrangement, moving our "living room" into the dining nook and the dining and schooling stuff into the living room.


The result is unconventional, but perfect for us!  We are in love with how roomy everything feels now.


The view from our front door (previously a couch, recliner, and rocking chair):


Looking back at the front door:
The smaller bookshelf in the top picture came from what was previously the dining nook.  The taller one in the second picture was in our bedroom.  I moved a second, smaller bookshelf to our bedroom for odds and ends.  Having all of our homeschool and reference books in one room is certainly more convenient!


I also love Greg's idea of bringing my sewing machine into our new school/dining/multipurpose room.  I was a bit skeptical at first, but now, instead of being in the back corner of the house with my back to everyone, I can work on a project while still keeping an eye on what's going on around here!


To the left of the front door:
Homeschool central!  I discussed in last year's school room post how much we use this Hoosier.  While some of the things inside may have changed over the last year, the frequency with which we use it hasn't.  Actually, that's not true.  With the new furniture arrangement we have much better access to the drawers and cabinets and I am using the Hoosier (and what's inside) even more!  It is definitely a blessing to have one big piece of furniture for storing the majority of our supplies instead of having them stuck here and there.  


To the right of the Hoosier is our filing cabinet, and on top of that, the library book basket.  Out of the reach of toddler hands.  Gotta love that! :)


And, for those of you curious about how our couch fits in a dining nook...
There it is!  Our cozy corner.  Where we snuggle, read, and watch the Rangers play. :)  I love that I can sit here and see into the laundry room and kitchen in one direction, and the school room in the other.  Barely visible in the bottom left corner of the picture is our chalk-board door.  Fun for drawing, spelling, math, and demonstrations of all kinds. 


Three weeks in to this arrangement and we all love it.  Thinking outside the box of traditional has been a great success!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I love this so much! I, too, was skeptical at the beginning of the post, but by the end I was sold! How perfect! So much room! Can't wait to see it!!!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

How wonderful that your DH wanted to help you make such a wonderful school space. I love your Hoosier! Its so pretty!

Dusty (To the Moon and Back) said...

I think you did a great job rearranging everything to fit! Great space! I clicked on your link over at the blog hop, because I just finished reading Gary Smalley's book For Better or For Best two days ago, and I had to see if your title was a reference to it. I see that it is! Good taste in books! :) I'll be reviewing it on my blog next week!

Wendi said...

Your room looks great! I love the white cupboard.

I think the couch looks perfect in your dining nook :)

Mrs. Random said...

What a wonderful arrangement! It looks like a beautiful environment to school and be a family in!

Jennifer said...

Sometimes the thinking outside the box - and going a little unconventional - is just the right idea....although, I'll confess, I am usually not brave enought to give it a try! But I love your rooms!!

Keri Mae said...

Your room(s) look SO great! So roomy and oh boy gotta love that sunshine pouring through (sun? what's that?) It gives me hope to keep moving on changing up mine! And what, 4 days late? I just posted for the first week on curriculum so I am way more behind than you are :)

Keri Mae
in the dreary 60 degree Pacific Northwest (I hear some of you bloggers actually get summer...)

Tiff said...

Looks great!! Glad things are going well!!!

Promise Christian Academy said...

What a great idea, to re-purpose rooms! Congrats on the girl :-)