Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day, friends!


We started the day off with heart-shaped pancakes and pink milk.  The pink milk was an idea from my blog friend Jennifer.  The boys loved it!  I set Dale and Alan's places with hand-made Valentine cards and a little gift (bike license plates with their names).  They were so excited!


We got a little school done and then scooped Tyler up in the middle of his nap to head to the nursing home for my grandmothers 77th birthday.  In all the hustle and bustle of getting out the door, I didn't realize until halfway there that I had left on my houseshoes.  Is that a southern term?  I think the commercial word for them is 'slippers'.  At any rate, they aren't meant to ever leave the house.  I love mine.  They are so warm and cozy. They look like little brown loafers and have nice rubber bottoms.  I affectionately call them my 'old woman shoes'.  So I guess it wasn't that big a faux-pas to wear them to the nursing home?  At any rate, no one seemed to notice.


Since we'd all had birthday cake at 11am we skipped lunch and the big boys took advantage of the time to play outside.  
We sat down for some more school later, putting a little Valentine touch here and there, including using my heart stamp to decorate handwriting and matching pages.


Late in the afternoon we gathered around to make rice krispy treats.  Dale wanted to use red food coloring and we planned on cutting them out with a heart-shaped cookie cutter.  


I always knew you were supposed to use fresh marshmallows.  I thought mine today were fresh enough, but apparently not, because the whole mess puffed up big and looked promisingly melty... and then they toasted.  Right in the pan.  And then formed some odd, mostly solid, toasty BLOB.  Ugh.


Later I ended up making a quick run to the store for a couple of things for supper (that hardly EVER happens around here!) and grabbed a bag of FRESH marhsmallows too.  


I whipped up another batch after supper and they behaved beautifully.  But I am kind of regretting the food coloring.  Pepto-pink rice krispy treats aren't that appetizing.  I'm hoping the heart shapes tomorrow will help. :)


How was your Valentine's Day?  Did you do anything special?  More importantly: did you eat anything special?  

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Who knew making rice krispy treats could be so challenging!!:) Whenever I read your posts, I always come away thinkin you guys have so much fun at your house:)

Sounds like another fun day - and so glad the boys enjoyed their pink milk!!

Happy Valentine's Day, friend!!