Monday, June 29, 2009

From the garden

I haven't posted about the garden lately, so I thought I would update, if for no other reason than my own documentation and comparison this time next year!

The garden looks good in a lot of ways, but the heat is really taking its toll. We have had almost 2 weeks now of 95-100 degree days.

Most of the corn is well over 6 feet tall, and most of the stalks are growing 2 ears each!
The squash and zucchini are covered in blossoms, but the squash gets about as big as my thumb and then shrivels. At least that is what happened to the first two to get that big. We'll see what happens to all of these:
The zucchini isn't producing as many veggies, but the few that are there are faring better than the squash. (As in: they aren't dying before getting big enough to eat!)

The cucumber vines are also loaded with blossoms, but I think it is too hot for them to produce any cucumbers. :(

The cantaloupe plants look healthy enough, so we'll see what happens next, and the bell peppers look like they are growing ok. They are a little bigger than golf balls now, so I hope they will continue on and get decently big.

The corn is definitely the healthiest looking thing right now. We picked our first ears yesterday!
We also picked two zucchini.
And then there are my favorites so far, the tomatoes.

First, there were two:
Then there were four, and then 6, and now I have 20 little tomatoes of varying ripeness just waiting to be eaten. I am picking them very early to keep them away from the birds, from which we have only had a little bit of trouble so far.

So, with our little beginning of a harvest we were able to have a fun celebratory supper tonight:

Grilled chicken, corn on the cob, sauteed zucchini, and ice cold tomatoes! We also had a blessed relief from the intense heat today, making it bearable for the grill-master to get outside and do his thing! And of course, for me to circle the garden a couple of times just to check on things. ;)

This post is linking to The Peterson Clan for a garden update.

No comments: