Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cure Your Mama Soup

Or at least make her feel better.


My poor mama has been sick for over a week now.  A few days ago I did the only respectable daughterly thing and brought her some soup and tea.


The soup was made up out of my head using what we had on hand.  It turned out pretty good - I taste tested it!


I was hoping it would be the miracle cure my Mama needed.  While it might not have cured her I think it did both of us good to visit in the breeze of her front porch while she sipped her soup and tea.  She enjoyed it enough she insisted that I write down what I did so I could repeat it again sometime.  


So here it is, in case you - or your mama ;) - need a hearty soup.


Cure Your Mama Soup
1 celery stalk (approx 1/4 cup), finely diced

1/4 cup onion, finely diced
1/4 cup carrot, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, divided
1 Tb olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
3 mushrooms, chopped
1/4 tsp thyme
salt & pepper


In a medium saucepan over med-low heat, slowly saute celery, onion, & carrot until soft.  Add 3 of the garlic gloves, minced.  Saute another minute or two to soften garlic, careful not to brown it.  Add broth.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are very soft.  Add mushrooms (mine were a bit dried and absorbed the soup's flavor very well), thyme, and salt & pepper to taste.  Use a garlic press to crush remaining garlic clove into soup.  Simmer another 10-15 minutes.


I hear this soup is good with a fruit jar of ice-cold green tea sweetened with honey for anyone who's had a sore throat, cough or crud, but that's strictly hear-say. ;)


Do you have a go-to soup or other food when you or those you love are sick?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Can we get an 'amen' for the soup!? I will stand up and testify it was AWESOME! And prepared by an awesome daughter, too. Maybe the secret ingredient was the love cooked in. :)

Kristin said...

Awwww.... Sorry I didn't bring you nuttin'.

Lisa said...

You woulda if you coulda and not so fah fah away ;)

Cindy said...

Anything cooked with love is a good cure for whatever is ailing you.