Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Rise and Shine!

I don't know about you, but my facebook feed was recently full of complaints about the end of daylight savings time, particularly the early fall of darkness.

Maybe I'm channeling my inner Ma Ingalls, but I love the cozy feeling of gathering my family in around a warm supper, doors shut tight against the growing coolness of the dark night. 

"Falling back" just seems to work with my internal clock.

Of course, there is that unfortunate fact that children's internal clocks don't reset so easily. And the little ones can't tell time.

I was reminded of that fact this morning when I chose to bypass an alarm and sleep in a little bit due to a rough night with the toddler (what happened to "best baby ever"?!?).

So at a time I would normally be up, showering, reading my Bible or otherwise starting the day, I was covered up in my bed. Sound asleep. I'm not gonna lie: it was great.

Until I became aware of a lot of thumping and bumping against the wall.  About the time I was conscious enough to realize that sound was a step-stool, the overhead light came on in my eyes. 

I bolted upright to discover Daniel grinning at me from the stool.

I soon learned I was not his first client of the day. In fact, I was his last.

Behind him, the living room light shone brightly and a sleepy Brooklyn (who had slept on the couch due to sickness) sat rubbing her eyes and blinking in the bright light.

I jumped from my bed turning off lights in every. single. room from one end of the house to the other, greeted by freshly wakened children from every sector.

And we all began our day together thanks to Daniel's internal clock.

Good morning, glories!

My little son-shine at his birthday party a few weeks ago. 

No comments: