Saturday, April 4, 2020

Freebies and leftovers

Friday, April 3
Quarantine Day 19

Never in my life has the movie "Groundhog Day" seemed more relevant.

We woke up. We ate breakfast (oatmeal. with raisins!). We read and discussed our devotion reading. Said prayers. Dismissed from the table to clean up breakfast, make beds and start math.
And then the day filled up and it was bedtim
e again. The end.


Not exactly like that. But pretty close. Every day.

Because it was cold and rainy, everyone stayed with their schoolwork better. I think when I sit down to make next week's assignment sheets I will find everything mostly done. 

Lunch was grilled cheese and tomato soup. Yay for planning ahead and saving that one for a rainy day - literally! I always check the weather when I menu plan. Cozy foods for dreary days, avoid the oven on the hottest days, etc. This weekend I need to take inventory of our stocked fridge and pantry and plan for another week. Usually I plan a menu and then make my grocery list and go shopping. But lately it's been "fill the online cart with whatever you can find and hope you get it when you pick up your order." 

In other stocking up news.... we are thankful to have ample space to store a few weeks' worth of food for 8 people. When we lived in Texas we had a second refrigerator (the 'garage fridge'), but sold it when we moved because it was around 30 years old and even thought it was working perfectly we had doubts about it surviving the move. And we were going to be storing all our worldly goods and were trying to make the most of the space we had. Anyway.... a month or two ago, Greg was offered a FREE refrigerator from a church near here. It had been their office fridge and they had been given a new-to-them one. We said, 'uhhh...sure!' but we didn't have a way or the time to go and get it, so it looked like that was going to fall through. Well, apparently they really wanted that fridge out of their way, because after a couple of days they said, "We'll bring it to you." And so they did. And so, now when we have 6 gallons of milk and extra produce and meat to store.... we have the place to put it. Greg says it was like God said...."You're going to need a second fridge." :)

So. Back to Friday. The kids spent the afternoon finding stuff to do. At one point at least 5 out of the 6 were huddled around the computer watching the online game one of them was playing. I love it when they all get together like that, even if it is around a screen. Alan especially keeps himself busy, and although he does get on screens, he probably uses them less than Dale and Tyler. Brooklyn has been asking for a couple of weeks to make slime from the pink glitter glue we bought just for that purpose. 



I had it planned as an activity at her birthday party....in SEPTEMBER. We didn't need it for the party, and it's just been sitting around since. 


We enjoyed Mexican food for supper: an enchilada casserole that geniusly used up leftover beans and rice, and chips and salsa. Then it was Friday night movie night! The boys, Dale especially, were interested in seeing Onward. I think it's pretty awesome that Disney pushed forward some of their releases since the whole country is at home. We thought Onward was coming April 6, but when I saw it was out yesterday, I knew our Friday night was set! And yes, it's super cute. I cried. Which isn't saying a lot. My emotions are all right up at the surface these days and I find myself tearing up at the silliest things. So a good movie like that and I was ready for an ugly cry! I held it together though. I din't want to freak the kids out. Ha!
Isn't that pretty much what we're all doing right now? Holding it together the best we can. Thankfully we don't have to hold it together alone. Jesus said, "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (John 16:33 and Matthew 28:20)