Wednesday, February 11, 2009

WFMW - Freezing meat

For frugality and other various other reasons I will often not use a whole package of meat for a meal, especially things that are packaged as individual pieces, like chicken and pork chops.

Instead, I pull out a few pieces and freeze them. This is great, as long as you don't end up with a freezer full of mystery meat!

I like to layer each piece between wax paper for easier thawing, making sure the wax paper covers the outside pieces as well, and then wrap the whole package in foil, sealed tightly all around. In case you haven't experienced it yourself, foil sticks to frozen meat. Not fun.

But here is the kicker: after wrapping your pre-left-overs, and before sticking them in the freezer, grab a sharpie or marks-a-lot and label that little puppy:

I like to be specific. Because once it enters my freezer I can be certain that is the last I will ever remember my encounter with that particular meat.

I love opening my freezer and having extra meat hidden back and ready to go!

Go to
Rocks In My Dryer for other WFMW tips.

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Smart idea! I try to do this as much as possible. I like your idea to use wax paper first, then foil, because I have experienced that 'sticks to foil' thing meat does.

fairenuff said...

Oh how I wish my oven wasnt broken. I'm guessing you wore pink when you took that photo??
Hugs
Sam
xxx